Union representation can provide many benefits, but working with a union doesn’t always go as planned. For example, the union or your employer might fail to represent you adequately, or your employer might try to disrupt your relationship with the union. Here is a list of legal issues that might arise in respect to unions in the workplace.
By the Union
- Breach of the Duty of Fair Representation
- Unfair Labor Practices (e.g. threats or harassment for not supporting the union)
- Forcing an Employee to Pay Union Dues
- Wrongful Termination, Discrimination, or Retaliation Against Union Employees
- Violation of “Right to Work” Laws (E.g., forcing an employee to join a union)
By the Employer
- Breach of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Retaliation for Protected Union Activity
- Harassment Because of Union Activity
Contact me today if you have a work issue related to your involvement with a union.